Saturday, April 20, 2013

Surgery Day

Surgery day (April 18) went well. We arrived at the hospital at 7:15 am. Our pastor came to the hospital for meditation and prayers before surgery and I ran into a friend in the waiting area and I spent some time catching up with her while we waited. I went into surgery around 10:00. I remember waking up in recovery about 3:00 pm. I was then taken to the post-surgery room and Ken joined me. Coming out of the anesthesia was difficult. I had nausea and was struggling with staying awake. I just couldn't keep my eyes open, literally. I had the most wonderful nurse, Alison. She was friendly, kind and did anything she could before and after surgery to make me comfortable. 4 stars for service! We left the hospital at about 6:00 pm and I was feeling a bit more alert.

I was bandaged up with a velcro protective cup around my ear that other CI recipients have dubbed "the jockstrap". I honestly cannot think of a better name for it. That's exactly what it resembles. My jockstrap and I will be buddies all weekend long.

Friday was a lazy day of resting and letting "Dr. Ken" take care of me. The nausea and dizziness had subsided and I was feeling pretty well for the most part. I have been taking my medications regularly so pain has not been a problem so far. I did not have much of an appetite on Friday, but ate enough so that I wouldn't get nauseous with the medications. My jaw hurt when I chewed and I couldn't open my mouth very far. I also have had a funny taste when I eat. I am not sure how to describe it - some have said it's a metallic taste, don't know about that - just an odd flavor. I also had a couple of nosebleeds. I was prepared for all of these things from talking with the doctor and other CI recipients, so nothing earth-shattering.

I had Ken take a picture of my incision when he changed the dressings because I couldn't see it. I wondered how big it was and what it looked like. It was not pretty so I won't be sharing the photo, but maybe later when it has healed some more, I can show you what it looks like. I have an incision the length of my ear right behind the ear where it attaches to the scalp.

Forty-eight hours after surgery, I am still doing quite well. Today, however, I have not had much energy and did more napping than yesterday. My jaw is not sore anymore, but swelling and bruising have shown up on the right side of my head/face. Between not being able to wash my hair and the bruising and swelling, I am not looking so hot. Can't wait for the 72 hour mark when I am permitted to wash my hair! I have taken bubble baths everyday which made me feel so much better, but the hair washing thing is awful!

Thank you to all of you who have had kind words to say and offered help in some way. Times like these let one know how wonderful the people in their lives are. YOU are wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment