Thursday, April 25, 2013

One Week Down, Three to Go

It's amazing how fast a body heals and rejuvenates itself. One week ago I had my surgery. Even two days ago, I was feeling well, but lacked energy and was basically a couch potato. Yesterday I had my follow-up appointment with my doctor. It was the first time in a week that I had been out of the house. My mom took me to lunch at Panera and then drove me to my appointment. It was nice to have a little mother/daughter time. We don't often get to do that. Dr. Benson was extremely pleased with how the surgery went and thought my incision was healing nicely. I no longer have to wear any bandages and I am clear to use any hair products! Yeah!

I feel better each day. Showers are my favorite thing and each night I am getting better sleep.  Mornings will be hard when I have to go back to work next week. I have been sleeping in each day and then I am in some pain because my meds have worn off during the night. I am not getting up in the middle of the night to take pain medications any more, so that makes for an unpleasant morning. Right now it's OK to be slow and lazy in the morning. I hope I am able to pick up the pace next week. I have never been a morning person, so that will be a challenge. My energy is slowing returning. I made it through the day without a nap yesterday, but that was only because I was not home!

My outer ear is still numb in some places and sticks out. I certainly hope it will lay flatter against my head once the swelling goes down. Other than that and some bruising, one really can't see any difference from before. I still have that funny taste in my mouth. I asked at my appointment yesterday how long I would have to deal with that. He said anywhere from 1 to 12 months. Not the answer I wanted to hear. While it is not the most terrible side effect, it is annoying and definitely takes some enjoyment out of eating. Maybe this will be my diet plan for the next year! :)

One week is under my belt and I have three more weeks to heal before my device is activated. These three weeks will be tougher than the last one. I will have to venture out of my quiet, relaxing home and into the loud, real world and function with just one hearing ear for three weeks. I think this is one of my biggest fears with this procedure. Next week will be a challenge. Yesterday, Dr. Benson asked if I felt like I had any residual hearing left in my right ear. I honestly don't hear any change from before. Good or bad, that either means that my hearing was so bad in that ear, that I don't notice being completely deaf now or that he was able to preserve any residual hearing that was there. Either way, I basically cannot hear in the right ear in everyday circumstances. That will be my reality for just three more weeks. I can do it!

I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:13

Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.
Deuteronomy 31:6

No comments:

Post a Comment